Christmas is right around the corner. A festive commemoration, many homeowners put up Christmas lights as a way of celebrating the blessed season. To keep the merrymaking, here are some tips to stay safe:
- Check your lights if they are damaged or broken before using them. Don’t use damaged lights.
- When buying new lights, make sure they are UL-certified.
- NEVER insert or remove bulbs when on.
- Read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Keep lights clear of decorations and other flammable materials.
- Arrange the wires so that they are not a tripping hazard.
- Do not overload extension plugs or power strips.
- Don’t allow children to play with the lights.
- Use only lights outdoors that are specifically designed as such.
- Ensure all outdoor lights are connected via a protected socket.
- Turn off lights and unplug before you go to bed and before you go out.
- When the season is over, take care in dismantling and packing the lights.
Have a safe, twinkly Christmas!